Radiofrequency Ablation of Uterine Fibroids
Jessica S Dai, Kayla E Nixon, Azra Sadikovic
Uterine fibroids are a common occurrence in women. Treatment options range from medical management to surgeries, with hysterectomy providing the most effective treatment. Newer methodologies to treat fibroids continue to evolve, one being the use of radiofrequency ablation, which offers a minimally invasive and uterus-sparing technique to manage fibroids. This article provides a review of both laparoscopic and transvaginal approaches to radiofrequency ablation for the management of fibroids.
Keywords: radiofrequency, ablation, uterine, fibroids
1. Stewart EA, Laughlin-Tommaso SK, Catherino WH, Lalitkumar S, Gupta D, Vollenhoven B. Uterine fibroids. Nat Rev Dis Prim. 2016;2:16043.
2. Lee BB, Yu SP. Radiofrequency Ablation of Uterine Fibroids: a Review. Curr Obstet Gynecol Rep. 2016;5:318-24.
3. Taheri M, Galo L, Potts C, Sakhel K, Quinn SD. Nonresective treatments for uterine fibroids: a systematic review of uterine and fibroid volume reductions. Int J Hyperth. 2019;36:294-300.
4. Bradley LD, Pasic RP, Miller LE. Clinical Performance of Radiofrequency Ablation for Treatment of Uterine Fibroids: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Prospective Studies. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech. 2019;29:1507-17.
5. Berman JM, Guido RS, Garza Leal JG, Pemueller RR, Whaley FS, Chudnoff SG, et al. Three-year outcome of the Halt trial: a prospective analysis of radiofrequency volumetric thermal ablation of myomas. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2014;21:767-74.
6. Management of Symptomatic Uterine Leiomyomas. Obstet Gynecol. 2021;137:e100-15.
7. Toub DB. A New Paradigm for Uterine Fibroid Treatment: Transcervical, Intrauterine Sonography-Guided Radiofrequency Ablation of Uterine Fibroids with the Sonata System. Curr Obstet Gynecol Rep. 2017;6:67-73.
8. Christoffel L, Römer T, Schiermeier S. Transcervical Radiofrequency Ablation of Uterine Fibroids Global Registry (SAGE): Study Protocol and Preliminary Results. Med Devices Evid Res. 2021;14:77-84.